Wednesday 28 March 2012

Very First Post!

For my very first post I think I shall share some brief information about my profile picture...

Eye-Spots by Rachael Lawton. Thrown Bone China, 2011-12

This image features some of the pieces from 'Eye-Spots'. A collection of ceramic pieces which explore butterfly symbolism, and the human soul. There are many mythological stories, and cultures which relate the human soul to butterflies.
This concept was approached through drawing, as well as experimenting on the potter's wheel. Through this, I came to concentrate on the butterfly's eye-spots as the main image source. These eye-spots are found on many butterflies wings.
All the pieces from 'Eye-Spots' were thrown using bone china, and then a selection were coloured in various high firing reduction glazes.
The result is an abstract image of a butterfly, which helps to create the sense that these circles could actually be individual souls. I enjoy the ambiguous nature of this work, I believe it helps to carry a strong concept, particularly one which involves mythology.

No comments:

Post a Comment